Friday, December 28, 2007

Who are you and what am I doing here?

Both good questions. Let me address them in order.

My name is Ben Englert and I'm weeks away from turning 18. In the past three years or so, I've been active as a local amateur sound engineer, producer, and technician. I have a project studio in my garage where I've worked on EPs and albums with local high school bands like Echodelic and most notably The Pizookies. I attend The Harker School here in San Jose, CA, and as well as doing a lot of performing of my own (acting, singing, etc), I've been assisting with the recording of many live performances by various ensembles in the school's conservatory. 

And this transitions us nicely into the second question. This coming February, I will be accompanying Harker's classical women's choir, Cantilena, on a 10-day tour of Italy to record their performances and later sell a CD. Though I've done "mobile" recording in the past, it has usually involved luxuries such as readily-available power outlets and having an entire car to load up with gear. Through this blog I hope to both give and solicit advice on how to approach the challenge of TRULY mobile recording, by explaining my approach to certain situations and hopefully hearing about yours. 

At this point I've procured most of the equipment I hope to use on the trip, so over the coming weeks I will start by detailing how and why I chose it. I hope all this is helpful to someone in the same shoes in the future!

No comments: