Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Update on Mackie and the Inspire!

Unfortunately I can't report that things with Mackie and the Satellite have been going very well... the person who was supposed to analyze the audio samples I sent them never got back to me!

However let me say that the Inspire has been an excellent and worthy companion. While the preamps are a bit less dynamically spacious than those on the Satellite, it wins in the categories of safety and convenience. 

I've been using it for my last few mobile gigs, and the fact that everything is entirely software controlled is incredibly handy - Now I don't have to take my hands off the laptop to adjust levels, and it also means I can place the interface in a place that's convenient for cable management, rather than having to compromise between clean cable routing and knob accessibility. Doing everything in software is really a godsend and I know I'll miss it when I'm back in the studio working with the Firepod.

The built in analog-limiters are also lifesavers. Usually if a huge discrepancy between someone's "practice take" and the real one causes them to clip because I set the level too high, I have them stop and start over. While it's probably a bad idea to be bouncing off your limiter constantly, I have to say it saves a lot of time not redoing things if you happen to go over here or there. In live work it's kind of unpredictable what might change between the sound check and the performance so it's good insurance.

So even if the Satellite issues are addressed, I think I'm taking the Inspire to Italy...

Not to worry, the post I promised on how I am planning to power the rig is coming soon.

No comments: